Tuesday, August 7, 2007

First flight

I got a late start into the world of blogging, therefore this blog is not going to be in any type of order. I am using this as my creative outlet and as I recall interesting stories I will be sharing them here. That said today I am going to share the story of my daughter's first airplane ride and the opportunity I had to be the pilot of her first flight.

When my daughter was born in 2003, I was not flying. I had earned my license back in 1991, but had not used it much since then. Lack of money was a convenient excuse but the truth was that I had lost my passion for flying. The birth of a child in itself was an awesome gift but I quickly discovered that each and every day is a gift as you share new discoveries. Somewhere during these discoveries she restored my passion for airplanes and flying.I had noticed that from a very early age my daughter Syrena was fascinated with airplanes. Each time we would see one in the air, which was often since we lived near an airport, she would look up, point and get very excited. I am sure all kids do this at her age, but since I was a pilot I thought (maybe willed) that it was more than just a passing fascination. My parents confirmed that I did the same thing as a child. I believe that once a pilot you are always a pilot and for me the bug was back!Now I had no idea if Syrena's excitement over airplanes would last, but I thought to myself that if it ever became more than a passing fancy I would want her know that her dad was a pilot. I found a local flight school and began the process of getting current again.

Like riding a bike, you never forget how to fly. I was extremely surprised that my first flight after such a long layoff went as well as it did. I was no way prepared to fly solo, but the procedures and motions were all still there. A lot of regulations had changed, the airspace had been reclassified and there were these things called Temporary Flight Restrictions to worry about, but pitch still controlled speed and power still controlled altitude.

Biannual Flight Review complete and knee deep in my instrument training we fast forward to January of 2006. We are preparing to visit my mother in-law in Tennessee. This is going to be Syrena's first airplane ride. I told my wife that it would mean a lot to me if I could be the pilot on Syrena's first flight. She knew that American Airlines was not going to hire me in the next two weeks so she asked me what I had in mind. I suggested that Syrena ride along during one of my next lessons. The only problem was that I needed my wife Lisa to go along in case Syrena had any problems during the flight. Syrena would be in the backseat and I would not be able to get to her during the flight in the event she got scared.

From the start of my renewed enthusiasm for flying, my wife had expressed to me her aversion to small aircraft. It was nothing personal she assured me, it was the plane and not my flying skills that she doubted. I understood as my mom had told me the same thing when I first got my license. I have never believed in forcing anyone to do anything they are uncomfortable with, especially with flying. It's better to let them comes to terms with it in their own time. This time however, I was in a time crunch . I did not force her, but I expressed to my wife just how much this would mean to me and eventually to Syrena. That's right I played the kid card, I was desperate.

A few days later she relented and agreed to ride along. We agreed that we would keep it short and simple and just go up in the pattern, do a touch and go and return to the airport. I would then drop her and Syrena off and then go continue with my lesson. As added incentive I reminded her that there was a mall near the airport and she could wait for me there as I finished my lesson.

The planned day turned out to be cold and clear. Perfect conditions for our flight as cold air is much more stable than warm and usually results in calm air. I preflighted the Cessna 172S and snapped a few pictures that I would use later in a first flight certificate.




The flight itself went very well, we took off on runway 11L at Jefferson Country airport KBJC. We made a right turn for a crosswind entry for runway 11R. Syrena was having an absolute blast. I could her saying "wheeeee", especially when we would make a turn. I brought us in for landing, trying especially hard to make it smooth and perfect, which I did. Sensing that was enough for my wife (looks can tell an entire story), I told the tower that we would make this a full stop. We then taxied back to McAirAviation and I dropped my wife and daughter off.

The lesson that day was a blur and I doubt I was even into it. I was on such a high from flying my daughter for the first time. I truly believe that being a pilot is a gift and if given the opportunity you should share that gift. I was just honored to be able to share it with my wife and daughter.

Two weeks later when we flew to Tennessee Syrena was confused. She did not understand why Daddy was not doing the flying. To her, me flying her was the only true flying she knew. I was both flattered and proud. She learned at a very young age what real flying was all about. Truly she was Daddy's girl!

A special thanks to my lovely wife Lisa for making this entire experience possible. Not only did she conquer her fear of small airplanes and is now a regular passenger but she continues to support my flying activities often at the expense of pursuing her own dreams and desires.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your passion for flying is amazing. Don't ever lose sight of it again.