Sunday, November 25, 2007

Window on the world

I have recently realized that as a pilot I have a view of the world that few others have. This is especially true if looked at from a photographer’s point of view. I know a few professional photographers who pay big money for an opportunity to shoot from the air. With my pilots license I can take pictures from the air just about any time that I would like to.

With that in mind I started taking my camera with me each time I went flying. With the onset of fall I really wanted to catch some of the beautiful fall color of the Colorado Front Range.

October 29th I took a short local flight with my instructor Justin. It had been a while since I last flew and I just wanted to practice some takeoffs and landings. On the way back to the airport from Ft Collins we snapped the following pictures that I hope you enjoy.

Calkins Lake, which is a major landmark we use to identify our practice area for flying maneuvers

Just a nice example of that fall color

Vance Brand airport in Longmont, CO. Brand was an astronaut with NASA who flew an Apollo mission that resulted in the first meeting in space between the US and the Soviets. He also commanded STS-5 which was the first operational mission of the Space Shuttle.

My favorite picture. This is looking west towards Boulder, Co and it shows how the Rocky Mountains dominates our skyline.

One of the many golf courses here in Colorado.

Interesting view of a local high school football stadium.

Being able to see the bottom of this small lake creates an interesting picture.

This is an aerial view of my flight school, McAir Aviation, located at Rocky Mountain Metro Airport in Broomfield, CO (KBJC).

This is the view on final for runway 29R at Rocky Mountain Metro Airport (KBJC). This is my home airport.

This is the view from what we call short final. Because I know you are wondering, my friend Justin is taking the pictures while I concentrate on the flying.

No comments: